Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus

Virginia is my state and I can honestly say I'm one of the few who have actually lived in their state. I was stationed at Virginia Beach when I was in the army.
Since everyone has talked so much about the family and I agree with it all, I thought I would tell you a little bit about myself for those who don't know my story.
I was born at home in Butte, MT. I was the 13th of 14 (yes my family is way bigger than yours). I was in 7th grade when my mother passed away and I lived with my older sister Dorothy and her family until I graduated from Butte Central. After attending Western Montana College for 2 years, I joined the army. I ended up getting discharged from Fitzsimmons army hospital in Colorado. I stayed in the Denver area after that. On February 1, 1975 Connie and I got married in Great Falls. It was a cold night--temp was at -29 degrees. We stayed in Denver until 1978 and decided to move back to Montana. That's when I started working for the IRS and I did so until I retired in 2004. In 2005 I suffered a stroke that left my right side unusable and my speech rather difficult. Both of us have learned to live with this and get along pretty well. I agree that family is the most important thing in the world. I have lost several of my brothers and sisters, but still keep in touch with the remaining sisters (yes I'm the only boy left) and many of my 50 some nieces and nephews.
Bill

9 comments:

mary said...

Great story Bill! I knew you were young when your Mom died, but you were like Maddie's age! Wow!

Thanks for sharing~

Desiree said...

I love this story. I always thought a winter wedding would be beautiful - I'm sure yours was. You and Connie have a special relationship and there is a lot to be learned from it. Very lovely post.

Love,
Desiree

Tom said...

Bill, great post. After all these years, I didn't know all the story. Can't believe it didn't come up over a beer at some point.

Jan said...

You had quite an interesting childhood, Bill. You have gone through a lot and it is good that you have such a great partner to help you through it all! We are glad to have you as part of the family!!

Hannah said...

Wow! You and Connie got married the same year I was born! I didn't know much of your story at all - so glad to hear it. Can I ask why you were discharged from the army hospital? What happened? Don't mean to pry if it is personal but would love to hear more of your story....

meg and ry said...

Ryan and I were surprised to even know you were in the Army!!! Find out something new everyday! And good work getting married in February! Beats 100+ in July! Thanks for sharing!

Johnny Piano said...

Thanks for posting and being part of the ongoing parade, Bill. It's great to learn more about you and have your point of view.

Molly said...

There are many things I love about you, Bill - your generosity (shown over the years by pretty much selling all our Girl Scout cookies over the years at the IRS), your love for this family (always there to support your nieces and nephews), your booming laugh (one always knows where Bill is), but I think 2 of my favorite ones are your sense of humor, and the fact that you are a Butte boy through and through - even though your speech was impaired by the stroke, you still can out cuss ANYONE in the family!! Love ya!

Jen said...

I ditto Molls' comment, especially when it comes to the Girl Scout cookies, I know I wouldn't have sold half as much without you helping out. I didn't know much of this about you and I thought it was awesome to read about. I didn't have any idea you were in the Army! Thanks for sharing Bill!

Love,
Jen