Friday, June 10, 2011

Farm Summer

Perhaps I am mistaken but I swear I once heard a story about a young Johnny who forgot to make his bed as he hurried off to school. His parent (was it Grampa?) promptly ventured to Johnny’s school and had him return home to tidy said bed. Is this a fictitious memory or based somewhere in the Moore Genealogical record? It reminds me of a similar story from my youth when this same John ventured to a middle school dance to apprehend Maurika and have her come home to finish her kitchen cleaning chore of rinsing out the drain in the sink. I remember our daylong marathon of Saturday chores and our hard earned allowance being a bright shiny quarter. Not being allowed to eat candy (much), the 25 cent treat was a tasty round of beef jerky purchased at the little corner drug store and our joy was full.
So I think it is partially due to this Moore family work ethic as part of my upbringing that I lost it the other night. It was one of the first days of summer and close to bedtime when I ventured downstairs to see my sweet and lovely children (because despite this following description, they truly are sweet and lovely) watching TV in an utter mess of a livingroom – popcorn on the floor, throw pillows strewn about, a cup carelessly tossed to the side. It was at this moment that I welcomed the poor lambs to Farm Summer. The ensuing rampage went something like this; “Do you know why summer was invented back in the day? It wasn’t so that children could have a break from school!! It was so that they could work on the farms from dawn til dusk to ensure that there would be food to eat throughout the winter!! They worked so hard that going back to school was probably a nice break from the heavy labor of summer plowing, planting, and harvesting!! And that is what we are doing this summer, my young chickadees, learning how to work – we’ll call it Farm Summer!!”
Did I overreact? Perhaps. It has been known to happen. However, I prefer to call it a moment of clarity. That as a society, we have truly done our children a disservice by entertaining them the way we do. With all the video games and 20 million television stations and many varied and unique handheld electronic devices – we have created a great minion of minis that are programmed to play. And we have forgotten to teach them how to work. Carter is nine and the first toilet he has ever cleaned was last week. There is something wrong with that picture.
Our first day was long and full of chores; cleaning and weeding and scooping and scrubbing. Lots of “I don’t know how to do this” and “Seriously?” but do you know what Jerry noticed when he got home that day? How happy the kids were. It was so clear that good hearty work creates fulfilled children rather than children pacified by technological entertainment.
I do plan on slowly letting them earn playing with friends and going to the pool and enjoying the fun that only summer holds but it is something to be earned – not something they are entitled to. And it is this Moore-ness that we all so cherish that has brought me back to this really important basic that I am so grateful to re-learn myself.
Love ya’ll!!





BTW Thought I would throw in a couple pics. We did go for a nice drive after church on Sunday so I am not completely controlling and cruel. Here is Carter with his fancy summer Mohawk – you can see how much I love it, the girls in the setting sun, and my awesome Jer since I never post pictures of him. Did I tell you that he has coached almost all of Carter’s sporting teams this last year and that he is a rockstar of a husband?

11 comments:

Hannah said...

By the way, I really didn't mean to write a book there. :) Eek - super long post!!

Hannah said...

It's because I don't facebook...

Shmoore said...

Too bad a certain uncle isn't still your neighbor, I could have found some work for them on the ranch. Great post, idea, and pictures.

Johnny Piano said...

Great post, Hannah -- and not too long. And the beginning of the story is mostly correct, except I didn't forget to make the bed. I just didn't do it. It was an ongoing battle with my mom, and she finally snapped. That's when my dad came and hauled me out of school. But you're right, the Moore work ethic is strongly instilled.

Love the pictures -- even Carter's haircut.

Molly said...

I see Carter has inherited the "Moore" ears. Well, they kind of remind me of Nate's. Anyhoo, I agree with work ethic. I often find myself wasting time in front of the TV watching movies, although I tend to call it "studying". I've actually learned some things about acting by doing this. But, that work ethic has been instilled in all of us and I think that is why it's so hard for us descendants of the Moore Clan to sit around and do nothing. We have to be active. However, some times fond memories are made around a TV. Every time I think of you I think of my favorite memory - being awoken by a certain young lady jumping on my bed in yellow pajamas saying "Let's go watch cartoons!"

Connie said...

Great post, Hannah. Know how hard it is for everyone to get out and do things!

Abe said...

I distinctly remember being fully convinced that the only reason our parents had us was so that they could own slaves to take care of their home and yard. Looking back now, I still think that was probably why they had you, Hannah. The rest of us, I believe, were just accidents. Nevertheless, growing up as indentured servants probably did help instill in us a drive to work hard.

Jen said...

Great post Hannah! And there is nothing wrong with getting the hands dirty and breaking a little sweat! Although I get teased a lot from my friends for being a "workaholic" I think everyone's statement rings true: hard work is just in the blood. We don't accept anything but our best and we make sure that when things are done, they are done right. Have a great summer!

Jan said...

Awesome post. Hannah! I love the pictures. Your kiddos are getting so big! Wish we could see you this summer. I am glad that I wasn't as mean as Johnny and Gramma because my kids never had to do chores! They were the ones that just watched TV and played video games. NOT!! Guess my hate of TV comes from Gramma and I just can't tolerate people sitting around watching it when there are so many things to do. My kids were very good about checking the chores chart and doing their chore for the week. They haven't even asked for the hundreds of dollars in allowance that they never got! I do love my kids!

meg and ry said...

A clean house is why Mom and Dad had six kids ;)

I LOVE your idea of chores and having a Farm Summer. Ry and I started with Tyson on making his bed....we might have to adjust since he doesn't quite get the concept of "go make your bed." "Mama, why do I have to make the bed? It's already maked!?" AH the English language. "No Tyson, you don't have to BUILD it...just pull the covers up."

LOVE IT!

Briana said...

This is brilliant. You are brilliant. I detest a weak work ethic, though have been coached to not push people as hard as I push myself (in my work life). Our family is very lucky to have had it bred into our genes! Some people just don't ever get the opportunity to learn this young - and then they live a life time of making their bosses super annoyed!!!
Your kids are so amazing and great! I have to say that I am always impressed by their manners, their intelligence and their kindness. Your a wonderful mama.