Friday, June 17, 2011

Hoosier Daddy

Like the rest of the family, I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts over the past couple of weeks. It just further cements the close bond we share as a family. I have definitely taken advantage of that close bond over the past few years as I have lived with Grandma, Abe, Matt & Kelly, Tom & Jeanine, and John & Ann. In every home I was welcomed and felt like I belonged, rather than just a visitor.

Grandma housed me on a couple of different occasions as I tried to figure out what to do with my life. One stint saw me working at Old Navy, while the other had me spraying lawns and hanging Christmas lights. We enjoyed many competitive cribbage games (which I lost more than won), lots of Jeopardy, and plenty of meatloaf. Yum!

My time with Abe was possibly the best summer of my life. After completing audio engineering school in Arizona, I moved over to Chicago to intern at an audio post-production house and shacked up with Abe. When I wasn't "working" I spent much time playing music, going to concerts, eating great food, catching Cubs games, and just soaking up the city life. While it was a blast to spend a short time there, my small-town Montana roots were pulling me back.

I tried my luck out in Washington with Matt and Kelly for a few months. Will was just a little one then, so I had plenty of time to mold him into the great kid he is today. :) I tried finding some audio engineering work, but it just didn't pan out. Eventually I ended up back at Carroll and got my degree.

This landed me with a job in Billings and a temporary stay, that turned more permanent, at Tom and Jeanine's. I really enjoyed my time there and felt like the son they never had. (Unless you count Nate....) Jeanine and Shannon loved to bake sweets, and I loved to eat them, so it was a match made in heaven.

The following summer I shacked up with John and Ann while I worked in Helena. They were gracious hosts who just let me come and go. We had busy schedules, so we'd see each other in passing, but I really did enjoy my short time with them as well.

Now I am on my own in Billings, but soon to be living with Nate. I think it should be a great time and he may be a Griz fan before you know it! For those of you that don't know, I will be looking for a new job as I was let go from my other one. But even when I found that out, I wasn't really too stressed or worried because I knew things would work out, and I know that I have an awesome family to support me no matter what. Thank you all for your great personalities and everything you contribute to this great, and growing, family.

7 comments:

mary said...

Good post Joey. Wonder how you missed living with the Wingys? I guess we couldn't compete with Grandma, cribbage and meatloaf! Shucks~I think it would have been a good time.

Good luck with the job search. I know you are an awesome teacher, so you are going to be able to find something else. I have faith!

Johnny Piano said...

Good post, Joey. I'm glad you're staying in Billings. Wait, that didn't sound right. You're always welcome here, of course, but I think the "big city" presents more opportunity. Sorry about the teaching gig going south, at least at that school. I know you did well. Don't give up on teaching -- those kids need you. Looking forward to seeing you sometime soon.

Jen said...

Great post bro! You definitely have made your way around the family :) I have lived with two of the 4 you mentioned (gramma and Matt/Kelly). I hope things work out for you, I will be keeping you in my prayers. I have no doubt you will find a job and any school would be lucky to have you.

Miranda said...

Love the title!

Abe said...

Dude, that summer was awesome. I miss playing music and writing songs together most of all. You are welcome back any time. Do you have any idea how many schools (and teaching jobs) there are in Chicago?

Connie said...

Sorry to hear about your teaching job, Joey. Know you will find something soon. You have a special talent working with kids. Enjoy living with Nate and you 2 keep out of trouble.

Hannah said...

Dang, a few days go by without checking the blog and all kinds of posts happen. Some of my favorite memories are the times I have stayed with Grama - and they sound so very similar to yours...Keep teaching, the world needs people like you to spend time with our children.