Thursday, June 16, 2011

PS: The legend of superman


I watched Waiting for Superman last night and it really bothered me. I think you all should watch it and:

1. Be thankful for all the great teachers in your life
2. Do whatever you can to help the schools in your area
3. Support the children in your lives to become the best students they can be

Granted, I don't know much about education and don't want to think I get all my information form the "gotcha" media, but there really is no reason in my mind for a child to drop out of school or not succeed if they are given the right resources and support. I'm a bit of an activist when it comes to people who can't always speak up for themselves. I think I would have been great in the '60s!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Randa, It's true that I haven't seen this movie but I have heard the basic premise. And though I try to avoid politics whenever possible, I think it is a flaw to blame teachers unions for the demise of our educational system. True, the system is broken. But as someone who has a teaching degree and still spends lots of time in schools volunteering and working with teachers, I think the problem is much more complex and varied than (what I have heard) this movie paints.

Miranda said...

I agree. I'm not totally sold on the theories the movie presents, but it just reminded me how unfair life can be sometimes for the most vulnerable.

Hannah said...

True.