Saturday, June 18, 2011

By Valor and Arms

Hey ya'll. So my state is Mississippi. I have actually spent some time in that state and have some fond memories. My favorite would have to be playing in the Regional Championship game when I was a junior at Louisiana State Uninversity in Shreveport. The tourney was hosted by William Carey University in Hattiesburg. We had already played numerous games throughout the weekend and it came down to Sunday night. We had already played once that day and went into extra innings. The temp was in the upper 90s if not into the hundreds and then adding the 100% humidity made it feel ridiculously hot. The big game was a battle the whole way through and ended up coming down to the ninth inning. We were down 1 with 2 outs and runners at 1st and 2nd. It just so happened that I was due up w the game and our season on the line. I was facing a pitcher that I was 0 for the season against. As it was again, he had me dead to rights w 2 strikes and then i managed to crush a ball off the end of the bat. It rolled barely passed the pitcher's mound but the pitcher, second baseman, and first baseman all went for it, no one covered first, and I ended up being safe. The next guy got up and ripped a shot down the line to score 2 and win the game. It was an amazing feeling until he came up to me after the game and cussed my out for not getting a hit and the game. he said he was so nervous he almost threw up. haha.
So the rest of the story is that we went to super regionals where we won 2 of 3 to make it to the NAIA world series in Lewiston ID. We played very well there and ended up taking 3rd.

I miss my playing days terribly everyday. Wish I would have taken it more serious when I had the chances. But as it is, I love what I am doing now. I love all the time I get to spend w all my relatives and can't wait for later this summer. Glad to hear everyone's doing well and I hope you all enjoyed my little story of Mississippi.

Benjamin

PS Please Pray for our country and the amazing service men and women that protect us.

6 comments:

mary said...

awesome post Ben. I wish we could have seen that game. As it was, we got to see some of the world series games and that was so incredible!
Love you and miss you!

Jen said...

Way to go Ben! I wish I could have seen you play back in the day, I know you were awesome and you loved the game. Glad to hear all is well and can't wait until I can hang with you again cuz!

Miranda said...

Maybe by the time Isaac's playing, you can make your way back to MT to be his coach. He's got quite the arm!

Connie said...

Aren't you glad the Mr Doubleday made the game 9 innings, 3 strikes and 3 outs!! We were really glad that we got to see one of your world series games--even saw you make a triple play. Hope you are enjoying Texas, but we want you back in Montana.

Jan said...

Great post Ben. Didn't get to see college play but always enjoyed any game we saw when you were an Electric! You are very talented and your love of the game shows. Glad you are liking this new gig!!

Hannah said...

Baseball!! I am not kidding that I felt stressed reading your post - anxious just in text. It's such a stressful sport when it comes down to the player at the plate. I feel like throwing up sometimes when Carter is up at bat. Uugh! How do you take that kind of pressure? And when it is full count? That is the worst!!! Yet, you can't look away, it is like going into a trance that is fun and terribly stressful all at the same time. Even Football isn't as bad. Baseball!!