Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sires of the Moore Clan

As I contemplated what to post on my day - Illinois' day - I went back to review the previous posts a little bit....and to catch up on them. It occurred to me that today was Father's Day so an "Ode to the Fathers" seemed appropriate. We have an amazing family with much deserved credit given to Grandma as the matriarch. The patriarch is one many of us weren't fortunate enough to know in person yet he lives on strongly through the many memories and stories. He has influenced all the dads in this family to be incredibly loving, generous, and giving to their kids. We have dads in all walks of life with all ages of kids who have taught us all to be just as loving, generous, and giving to others. This tradition will continue to be passed on as we teach our sons to live up to their names - whether they technically be Moore or not.

A famous Illinois-ian (although not born there) is Abraham Lincoln He, too, was a father who greatly influenced those around him. He has an interesting quote I found:

"My father taught me to work, but not to love it. I never did like to work, and I don't deny it. I'd rather read, tell stories, crack jokes, talk, laugh -- anything but work."
Abraham Lincoln

Now the entire thing isn't appropriate for our family. I really do believe most of us enjoy what we do and all have an incredible work ethic, no matter how many paths we need to go down to find it. But the other part - laughing, telling stories, and talking - are 100% Moore. Gathering around the kitchen no matter how crowded it got or around the food table or game area at family picnics or on the dance floor at weddings - these are the memories that have strengthened our family, and I think Grandpa John smiles along with Grandma when all of us are together.

So on this Sunday, Happy Father's Day to Marc, John, Tom, Dinger, Mark, Jerry, Peter, Matt, Ryan and Nate. And preemptive Happy Father's Day wish to the future fathers!

3 comments:

Jan said...

Great post Meg. You younger ones of the Moore generation really did miss out on not getting to know Grampa John. He was something very special and even though he has been gone for almost 27 years, I still miss him every day!!!

Jen said...

Megs awesome post. I have heard so many different stories about Grandpa and I wish that I cold have gotten to know him, but I definitely think his spirit is reflected in all of his children, and that is pretty awesome. We have some pretty awesome fathers in this family and I feel truly blest to be a part of it all.

mary said...

Great post Meg. And I hope all the dads had a fantastic day!