Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Glades of Spearfish




It has been so awesome reading all these posts and learning so much more about all our family members! I am definately not one of the most active posters on this blog, so maybe it is about time I entertain you with my thoughts...

It has been discussed in much detail how great our family is and how we are so blessed to have each other. I couldn't agree more. Our family is also full of extremely hard working, ambitious individuals. We have teachers, health care workers, entrepreneurs, and lawyers to name a few. If we aren't the All American family, then who is? One thing I have learned since starting my adult career is the importance of giving myself a break. Stress is synonamous with nursing, and these past couple weeks have been brutal here in Spearfish. It has not been the number of patients we have had lately, but the types of patients. I consider myself a reasonably patient person, and I have left work mentally drained recently due to complainers and people who absolutely refuse to help themselves. I could let this turn me into Nurse Ratched (my mother often calls me this...not true), but most of the time I actually enjoy my job and would like to continue to enjoy it. So yesterday, although I had plenty of housework and packing to do, I let myself enjoy all afternoon in my favorite place in the small town of Spearfish...Spearfish Creek Park.


I love everything about this park. Lots of green grass, trees, biking paths, and my favorite part, the creek. In my need to do something for myself, I packed up my camp chair, book, and sunscreen and headed out to sit by the creek and read in the sunshine. I gave myself two hours to sit and enjoy my surroundings (let me tell you, I needed it) and went home feeling refreshed and rejuvinated. I figured I could share my small piece if paradise with you. Working hard is a very important trait that we all have, however the need to relax every now and then is just as important for our sanity and health. I hear myself telling patients this all the time and should probably practice what I preach. I made a promise to myself to do better, and after yesterday I don't think that will be difficult!

Otherwise, life is good here in the great SD. I move into a newer, bigger apartment soon which I am extremely excited about. Who knew a dishwasher and washing machine could do that to a girl? Wedding plans are slow, but getting motivated is tough when it is over a year away. I can tell you the official date, which is July 21, 2012 in Billings. My next order of business is finding a reception site to house the MooreFest!. I hope everyone is well and enjoying the start of summer! Can't wait to see everyone at the picnic!



Love, Shan



9 comments:

mary said...

Fun post! Thanks for sharing your relaxing place. It looks beautiful~

Nateusmoore said...

Looks like a nice get-away... glad you found the time to wind down. Everyone needs that now and again.

Jan said...

Wow! Beautiful spot. We definitely all need something like that! I will be ready soon I am sure. We are psyched to hear that there is a date for the wedding! It will be a grand time I am sure. Glad it is in Billings and in July!!

Miranda said...

SO TRUE!!!! Nursing can be brutal, but I think it makes you appreciate the great patients even more. Glad you are enjoying it.

Connie said...

Thanks, Shannon, for sharing your relaxing philosophy. I agree that we all need it once in a while.
Great date for a wedding--it will be Bill's 68th birthday. What a way to celebrate the first July birthday in the Moore family. It is the first of many.
Take care

Jan said...

Woohoo! I'm putting the date on the calendar now. And great post. Good reminder for all.

--Meghan (under mom's name)

Jen said...

Excellent post! You hit the nail right on the head with this one. I think all too often we get caught up in work and trying to take care of others, that we forget about ourselves. Thanks for the awesome reminder...and great book by the way :)

Desiree said...

Looks so beautiful! And I agree with Jen - great book! We are very much looking forward to your wedding.

Love,
Diz and Abe

Hannah said...

What a great picture! Such a good looking couple!! Was fun to read your post -glad your date is set!