Thursday, June 30, 2011

Issmi Rileigh! aka Wiscontemplation? Eh?




Marhaba! I tried to incorporate a clever state-related title and blatantly failed, haha. By the way blogger wasn't working on my computer yesterday so not my fault!! Haha. Anyway. Here are some pictures from my amazing time in DC (right before school ended). I got to go, all expenses paid, through NCBI for a federal youth summit where we talked about bullying reduction and things like that. It was really amazing! I promise I only looked this creepy whilst high-fiving Hillary Clinton. Also, the Montana thing is one of the pillar-type state things they have near the reflection pool. So, my summer. Here's the deal: I'm taking Arabic classes this summer and it's possibly the best thing I've ever done with a summer. Seriously. Amazing. The teachers are the kindest, most amazing people ever (one is from Israel, one from Jordan, and one from Yemen- all fluent in English and Arabic) and it is such a lovely experience. Arabic is a beautiful language to speak and to write. And despite the beliefs of certain Americans, Arabs (including Muslims) are generally beautiful people just like anyone else. So far, in a week and a half, we've learned the whole alphabet (no small task), numbers, many greetings, and some vocabulary. Not to mention we get five college credits at no charge! In a few weeks I will be whisked off to Chicago for some sort of escapade involving an internship with the amazing artist who made the rings for Abe and Diz's beautiful wedding. I am so excited!! And after that I have a 3-day NCBI (National Coalition Building Institute) camp in which they basically train youth to train other youth to prevent and reduce prejudice and bullying. Also, I get to co-lead or some sort of thing :) So basically my summer is going wondrously and amazingly and I hope yours are too!
Ilal-liqaa,
Rileigh

10 comments:

Jen said...

Wow Rileigh! That is awesome...and I thought I was doing well just trying to teach myself Spanish. You definitely are an ambitious young adult (really, young adult?) and I think it is amazing that you are involved in these things. I am glad to hear the summer is going well, and I hope it continues to do so. Keep that bright smile and hopefully I will see you sooner rather than later.

Rileigh said...

Thanks Jen! As you can see it has now allowed me to add pictures, haha. I hope I get to see you soon too!

Abe said...

Great post, Ri! Just booked your ticket for July 23 thru Aug 5!

Johnny Piano said...

Thanks, Rileigh, for filling us in on your great summer. Arabic ... that's cool. Never thought of trying to learn that. Larkin Matoon, son of my friend Richard, lives in Missoula. He learned Arabic while in the service. Just thinking you might get some additional pointers from him. I like the NCBI work you're doing. I could learn from you. See you this weekend!

Hannah said...

In one word: impressive. But you always are.

Rileigh said...

Thanks guys! And also that's pretty cool grandpa I'll follow up if I need a tutor or something :) And yay Abe!

Molly said...

Wow!! SUPER impressive. I've always been amazed at individuals like yourself - open minded, willing to try new things, and generally just pretty badass. I hope you enjoy your summer and continue to learn and grow. You're such a beautiful young woman!

Rileigh said...

Haha thanks Molly!

Briana said...

Love you Ri-ri. Glad that you are going to have such a kick ass summer! What a wonderful lady you are.

meg and ry said...

Hey Rileigh -

That is amazing!! Congrats on partaking in such a wonderful organization (NCBI) and doing something equally amazing and educational (proud pseudo-teacher cousin here!) during the summer. Can't wait to see you again and hear about your adventures!

-megs