Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Show Me Somethin'

What’s up, wonderful family? First off, Happy Birthday to Bri!! As all have said, this has been a blast reading these everyday and I’m glad everyone (well almost everyone…Jen?) has participated.

Being back in Montana has been amazing so far. I’m enjoying the outdoors (albeit the wet outdoors) and being around all my friends and family again. I’m also enjoying my job and feel blessed that out of the 100+ offices I could have been transferred to, I was sent back home.

As everyone knows, New York Life has been around for a long time in our family. Grandpa John was a great agent and one that I’ve come to find had one hell of a reputation as an amazing man. Back in March when I was in Florida for a meeting, I met two managers that had worked with Grandpa when they were managers in Montana. When I introduced myself you could see their eyes light up when they heard my last name. Both were quick to talk about how thoughtful, kind, and fun Grandpa John was. I’ve never felt so much pride.

Here in Montana as it was announced I would be taking over as a manager in the MT office, I began receiving calls from a lot of “old-time” agents that knew Grandpa, who were excited to have another Moore in the office (another as my dad works here as well). One agent who was a very close friend of Grandpa’s told me, “Your Granddad would be so proud right now to have you here.” Hearing that was amazing. I’ve come to see (not that I ever didn’t think it) that Grandpa John was an awesome person. If when I’m older I have people talking about me to my kids or grandkids like people have talked to me about Grandpa, I’ll know I have lived one great life. It’s a life that I will strive to live and I have seen firsthand that compassion, honesty, and thoughtfulness never fade from someone’s mind no matter how many years have passed. It’s my goal to carry on the Moore name as Grandpa had carried it on.

I was exploring my new office last month and came across two pictures that I thought were awesome. The first picture was taken in 1958 at the opening of the now-defunct Butte General Office. Front and center is Grandpa John with a killer bow-tie. Up the stairs to the left you can see Orvis. The second is from 1962 in the Great Falls General Office.

6 comments:

Diz said...

Really nice post.

Jen said...

Sweet pics Nate! I think it is awesome you are in the office where Grandpa worked, that is so cool! Hope you are enjoying MT

mary said...

Great photos! It is always fun to remember these guys. They were such good friends...amazing when they were competing with each other. We got to see many of the old timers at Soko's funeral earlier in the year. And they haven't changed much~

Hannah said...

A statement I will always treasure came from Grampa 'O' one time when he said (paraphrased a bit perhaps), "You know, Hannah, you only get a handful of truly great friends in a lifetime and your Grampa John was one of mine." Just a favorite.

Jan said...

Awesome post Nate. I think it is absolutely fantastic to keep the Moore name in the New York Life family. They used to be something else. I think it has changed quite a bit since Dad was in there but there are some great people that you will work with. And, Nate, you are right! He was something else. God broke the mold when He made him!!! Still miss him every day!!!

meg and ry said...

Great post Nate. Very cool that you are carrying on the generations of Moores that have been at New York Life.