Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The "Maine" Event





Just so you know (Nate) I tried posting this for an hour and a half last night, so credit the awesome internet connection on the ship for the delay.


Hello to my wonderful, amazing family!!!! There have been a number of very good posts lately, and I fear that mine will not be as well written or as deep as some, but I will do my best. As I was reading through everyone's posts, I was trying to decide if I should just give an update about my life, or if I should get all serious, so I decided to do a little of both.


Let me explain the pictures. The first is from a hike I took to a pair of falls somewhere on the island. I bought this book: "Best Tracks on Guam" and I am determined to do most, if not all, of the hikes in the book. The second picture is taken at Gab Gab beach, a private beach on the base where I do a TON of diving. That is a good little lead in to talk about what I have been up to. I am currently working on my dive master certification. Basically what that means is that once I am a dive master, I can help instructors teach classes and get paid for it :) So now I will have a little cash flow to pay for my hobby :) I have also done a lot of hiking, and hope to get in some deep sea fishing as well.


Work is going well. Right now, I am currently on the USS ESSEX. It is an LHD (amphibious ship) that supports Marines. We are conducting exercises off the coast of Australia. We will sail to Townsville and reach there July 7th, and then head to Syndey. I get to fly out of Syndey back to Guam, and all on the Navy's dime, so I am not complaining. I will return to Guam around 8th of August, so it is a long time on the ship, but I am excited for the opportunity to learn about the operational side of the Navy.


So that is enough of the boring stuff---onto the sentimental post right? I remember at the family picnic when we all had to say something about our state. Leading up to that event there were certain people who were bragging about how cool their particular state was and how they were going to be the ones with the coolest factoid. I thought I was so sly and was so excited to find out that the Masters was played in Augusta. Of course, I was saying it was Augusta, Maine, but of course I was quickly put in my place. Nate lovingly told me how big of an idiot I was, and I definitely felt embarrassed. Of course, all the teasing was out of love, and I am glad I made myself out to be an idiot in front of my family instead of someone else.


I can honestly say that I have the most fun, and I laugh the hardest, when I am around family. I think being away from family has made me appreciate the time I have with them that much more. Growing up I would always hear my friends talk about how much they hated their parents or their siblings, and they couldn't wait to move out. I couldn't believe my ears? I mean, who could hate their parents? Did I get mad at them, of course, but I never hated them. I think about all the sacrifices they made, the miles they drove to support me through my sporting events, the anniversaries they gave up to watch me in baseball or to go to a swim meet, the number of summers that were spent balancing work and swim team and raising kids.....I am just amazed. I mean, I owe them so much. And then I think about how all of the parents in this family have sacrificed. Taking us to sporting events, music festivals, rehearsals for various things, supporting us through various challenges, travelling thousands of miles to attend graduations. I could go on and on and on, but we all know what our parents have done for us and the sacrifices they have made. I don't think I can thank them enough. I think their sacrifices are reflected in us, and in our successes.


So I guess the bottom line is, I am thankful everyday for my family. Their love and support has brought me to the point I am at today. Their love and support helped me make a decision to move thousands of miles away, and it is their love and support that gives me the confidence to face each day. I will miss being at the family picnic this year, but I will be there in spirit. I am so proud of every member of this family and what you have all accomplished. I look forward to reading through the rest of the posts. I am glad I was able to get this up before officially going underway.


Love and miss you all.


Love always,

Jen

6 comments:

Nate said...

Haha. Nice Jen. I was more confused with you're no-post than anything as you are a vibrant member of the blog. Glad everything is going well In Guam. I am super jealous of your beach views. All teasing is out of love of course.

mary said...

Aawesome post and great photos, Jen! Enjoy your time on the ship~

Diz said...

Great post, Jen. You are the sweetest. Have a great time and be safe in all of your travels.
We love you!
Abe and Diz

Hannah said...

Jen - you are one of the rockinest people I know and I loved your post!!

Miranda said...

I think you've reached that period of your life when you are finally officially out on your own and reflect back on your life and realize how amazing your (all) parents are. I even had to admit it!

Jan said...

Of course we are cool and will take all the credit for what you are today. But that isn't true! You have taken what we taught you and have run with it! You are an amazing young woman who makes me so proud with all that you do!! We are damn lucky to have the six beautiful children that we do!!!