Thursday, June 09, 2011

New York, New York

Obviously, this is not a picture of me in the Big Apple, but is a picture of me with a Big Fish!  Actually, this photo jogs good memories of a trip I took just as my posting under New York jogs memories of my visit to New York.  After graduation from college, and failing to then convince Jan to marry me (I later did accept her proposal), I went against Horace Greeley and headed East.  My uncle was an executive in New Jersey and I stayed with him while I went into the City to search for employment.  I recall sitting in Battery Park waiting for an appointment with Mudge Rose Guthrie Alexander and Nixon (yes, THAT Nixon) to interview for a paralegal position.  A seagull decided to make a political statement (must have been a staunch Democrat) and made a deposit on my suit jacket.  Since the jacket was a fairly loud check (it was the 70s after all), the remnants of the deposit blended, but I wondered if that was the reason for not hiring me.  I also recall thinking that walking in New York was a little like walking in a small town, as everyone seemed to be only concerned about those people in the very near vicinity, so the numbers did not seem overwhelming.  This attitude on my part was, however, blitzed when during one walk on 7th Avenue at noon I looked up (I was going down a slight incline) and saw nothing but people from building to the edge of the 20 foot wide sidewalk for as far as I could see!  Rather sobering.  My cousin and I made a deal--I would go endure a montage of ballet piece at the American Ballet, and she would endure a showing of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (made in GF if you recall).  Again, a fond memory!  Every time I smell the diesel exhaust of a passing bus, I remember walking the avenues of New York.  So, that is my "New York, New York" (you are to imagine Ol' Blue Eyes singing!)

Marc Buyske

9 comments:

Nate Moore said...

Love it. Great post. (BTW New York, New York is Jake's and my go to song for karaoke.)

Diz said...

Mark this is fantastic! I love Battery Park and it's so cool to picture you there back then - what an important job interview you had lined up! This post is very Great Gatsby, somehow. Love it.

mary said...

Awesome story about your state. I really enjoyed visiting NY when I was in High School, but sure didn't like all the people...just the shopping!!

Johnny Piano said...

Another participant in the parade. I've heard parts of you NYNY story, and it was good to learn more. Oh, and thanks for accepting Jan's proposal (?)

Hannah said...

Love it! Abe and I have a good New York story too, there is something just significant about that town...And Nixon? Perty darn impressive!!

Molly said...

Wow, Dad, I've known you for 23 years, 11 months, and 14 days and I have NEVER heard this story. I knew you went out East but didn't know that a)you interviewed at such a big firm, b)your sensory recall between diesel fuel and NY, and c)a bird pooped on you. I mean, HOW can you leave a detail like that out?! Maybe one day you'll get to go out there and see me in a play or on SNL. Love ya mi papa!

mattandkelly said...

Great post, Dad! Just think, if mom had accepted your proposal you would have missed out on this spectacular experience. You have SO MUCH to thank her for!! :)

Jen said...

Dad, great post!! Man, birds pooping on you in NY? In Australia they say that is good luck, so maybe it was lucky afterall that you didn't end up getting the job, because who knows where you would have ended up! Maybe you wouldn't have had the 6 wonderful children that you do now :) Thanks for sharing dad, I didn't know this story either!

Love,

Jen

Briana said...

Great post. Glad to know more bits from your past ;)