Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Well, it's pretty hard following Joey's post, but just a little something from Benjamin.

Growing up in Great Falls us Wingerters were luckier than all the other cousins. We got to have Grandma for all holidays and birthdays and games, even though she thought us playing sports was pretty silly. The best was Sunday though.  We would go to church and then have cinnamon rolls and coffee every Sunday with Grandma.  When we were younger we got to take turns and individually spend the day with her after church. Then every Sunday dinner was spent at Grandma’s house or she would come over to ours. We never really had too many dinners together as a family during the week because everyone was so busy but Sunday dinner was always special especially with Grandma present. I miss those Sunday dinners the most for sure.

Like Miranda said, Grandma was a big inspiration to me when I was working at the nursing homes.  Sometimes the older people need a ton of encouragement to do their therapy.  When I would get a little discouraged with some of my people all I would have to do is think: this is someone’s grandparent and I would think of Grandma.

When I was working in Butte a few years ago I was making some small talk with one of my people.  He told me that he used to sell life insurance for New York Life and of course told him that he probably knew my Grandpa.  He said that he and his wife would always hang out w John and Jeanne Moore at their work meetings because they were always so much fun. After McKinley was born I took her to see Adrienne at work and the guy’s wife just happened to around.  When she found out we were related to the Moores she went on to say what great people they were and how lucky Adrienne was to be part of such a great family. That made me very proud to have her as my grandma. 

She will surely be missed.

4 comments:

Johnny Piano said...

Thanks, Ben. It's great you've been able to make connections with other folks to our family. Those moments are special, and the bridges are strong. Carry on.

Mary said...

I loved Sunday dinners with Mom as well. It was a very special time for us and continued until the last few months. Our table has seemed a bit more empty for sure~

Jan said...

We are lucky to share Sunday dinners with the Schultes and it is a tradition carried from growing up and Sunday was family. When our kids left for college their one duty was to call home on Sunday. That is an important connection. These are all such great memories of Mom and the special woman she was!

Shmoore said...

Nice story Ben. The Wingerter kids were very fortunate to grow up in Great Falls with Grandma there.