Sunday, December 13, 2015

First, I don’t mean to pop in front of Bill and Marc but I wanted to share these pics and do my post before we are too far behind the daily schedule. There were so many pictures from the weekend of Grama’s funeral that I thought I would upload them to a site where everyone can see all of them. Click on the date “2015-12-13” or the “View Album” to peruse through all the pictures. The link is here: https://moorefamilypicsdecember2015.shutterfly.com/pictures#n_5

There are a few memories of Grama that truly shaped my life.

I remember being in her kitchen after Grampa’s funeral with food piled on tables and counters and loving kindness being administered in every corner. I witnessed one friend hug her and offer kind words of condolences. Grama responded by saying, “All we can do now is pray.” I think that statement stayed as a permanent impression with me because, having been raised without a faith, I found it so confusing. I just couldn’t understand how prayer could help, why she would mention that in the midst of such sadness. I pondered on it often, just wondering.

And Mass. I loved going to Mass with Grama. I didn’t do it that often but I loved the standing and kneeling and memorized prayers. I loved that she was one of the people up front, helping with the bread and wine. I loved shaking people’s hands all around me, that was my favorite part.

I loved the way Grama would rub her face when she said a prayer at mealtime. I loved her example and strength. I wanted to be old like her and strong like her. She was so perfect to me.

This person, her love and faith and example, brought me to the place I am today. In hard times, I found goodness through prayer before I really understood it, because of her. The first time I walked into the chapel of the church I have now grown to love, I felt sweet familiarity. It reminded me of those fond memories of going to church with Grama and strongly influenced my desire to keep going. I spoke with her after joining the LDS church, afraid that she would not be fond of my choice and she said, “We are both worshipping the same God” just as light and loving as a soul can be. I have long referred to Grama as an angel in my life and am so grateful that God blessed me with knowing and loving such greatness.

3 comments:

Johnny Piano said...

Thanks, Hannah. Nice photos. Your memories are warm and touching.

Mary said...

Great pics Hannah! Thank you for sharing them and your memories!

Jan said...

Those are AWESOME pictures, Hannah! They will stay on my computer forever! Mom loved you so! She thought you didn't appreciate the beautiful person that you are! I think you do now!