Saturday, December 26, 2015

Christmas At Grandma's

Good morning, family.  I hope everyone had an amazing Christmas.  I made it to Billings and spent a wonderful day with the family which included Joey, Erin, and Henry joining us for dinner.



For me, Christmas was the holiday that most reminds me of Grandma, Great Falls, and family. Typing this right now I'm getting emotional thinking about all of the Christmas mornings I spent in Grandma's living room.

We'd leave Billings packed with presents - driving the two lane highway through Broadview, Ryegate, a stop at Ray's in Harlow, past Eddie's Corner, and then hit the home stretch into Great Falls.  There was a traditional game where Shannon and I would see who could first see the "golf balls" at the Base (some radar at Malstrom that has since been taken down).  That's when we knew we were there.

Driving in on 10th and taking the right by Joann's Fabrics was the final sign that we had about three minutes left in the car.  I still find myself wanting to take that right when I drive in Great Falls now.  As a young kid, driving up to Grandma's house was so exciting.  I can vividly remember pulling up to the curb and running in to see Grandma.  Her hugs were the best and the house was the warmest and most welcoming place I've ever been.  At Christmas there was the tree, the Santas... it was everything I needed to feel like Christmas was here.

Shannon and I would go to sleep in the room with the green single beds like many cousins have.  We'd be so excited that Santa was coming and could hardly sleep.  We'd hear the pipes and the creaks of  Grandma's house and wonder if that was Santa.  At 5AM, we'd run to our parent's room and beg them to go upstairs with us.  For  20+ years, this was Christmas morning.  Running into the living room to see what Santa brought us.  The same spot each year... it was Christmas at Grandmas.  She'd come out of her room and ask what Santa had brought us... it was so familiar every single year.  We loved it.  I love it still thinking about those days.

Looking back now, it wasn't the presents or Santa that made those Christmases so amazing.  It was the warmth of Grandma's house.  It was being so excited to see her when we pulled up.  It was her giving nature and the look of joy and pride when we were all in the living room opening gifts.  Later in the morning it was the the whole family opening presents in the living room and being around family.  Maybe it wasn't what I was thinking back then, but I was way more excited to see Grandma and the cousins than I was for the presents.

Writing this I feel like I can't adequately put into words what Christmas at Grandma's meant to me.  I can't adequately explain how Great Falls will never be the same for me to visit without her there and it breaks my heart.  With that said, I feel like I'm the luckiest person in the world to have experienced someone and somewhere that had such a profound impact on me and that most of my childhood memories are based upon.  I miss Grandma so much and love reading all these stories - every single Christmas morning I will think of the green beds... of the creaks of the pipes and the house... of the living room where Santa visited dozens of times... of Grandma coming out and saying "Merry Christmas" and seeing what Santa brought us.  I'll think of the love and warmth that followed Grandma everywhere she was.

I love you all so much.

Nate




7 comments:

Jake said...

I loved coming to Grandma's for this too. Great memories!

Shmoore said...

Great job Nate. I could picture everything you described.

Erin said...

Isn't it funny how we can remember so many important details about Christmas as a kid? I loved your memories!

Mary said...

I remember the phone calls to the Wingy house on Christmas morning telling us to HURRY UP and get to grandma's! Such fun memories~

Jan said...

Great memory, Nate!! We loved our Christmas mornings as kids, too!!

Johnny Piano said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Johnny Piano said...

Lucky you, Nate, getting to post so close to Christmas Day about all the great Christmas memories. They are as strong for us in the older generation as well – dating back to Santa coming in the front door on Christmas Eve to deliver presents, Nan and Gran being there, midnight Mass, and hundreds of other fond recollections. You nailed it!