Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Day 5 from # 5!

I have two very distinct memories of Mom.  The first is when I told her that I was pregnant at 18.  I was so worried that I would see disappointment or hear words of blame.  But her words were not words of condemnation, but of concern.  I never felt anything but love and concern.  And when Jim and I decided to get married and keep the baby, she was so supportive and said~Good.  I don't want my grandchild anywhere else but with us.  I thank God daily that He gave me such amazing parents and a wonderful role model as a Mom.  She wasn't mushy loving on us, but I always knew she loved me and cared what kind of person I was.  Even when I was not welcome in my church, Mom never pressured me to change that status; but I think she was relieved when Jim and I had our marriage blessed and found our way back.  

My second memory is when I told Mom that Jake had cancer.  I think I got the biggest hug that I had ever received from Mom.  She cried with me for a moment and then said What do we need to do?  And I knew we were going to be OK.  I knew we had one of the biggest, baddest, sassiest prayer warriors on our side.  She was with Jake, me and Jim through all the scariness, and was the oasis of calm...and a great sounding board.

I never in my life as a teenager thought I would live in Great Falls Montana.  I couldn't wait to get out of here and see the world.  I was going to be somebody and do great things.  I have no idea what, but I was going to get out of here.  When we moved back, I was less than excited.  However, I think one of the biggest blessings I have had in my life besides my amazing husband and terrific kids is that I got to have so much time with Mom.  And my kids developed such a special relationship with her.  I wouldn't trade the past few years with Mom for anything.  It was special and we had some great conversations...many of them more than once but hey, who's keeping count?  One of my favorite conversations the past couple months was Mom telling me how proud of her family she was.  And how happy she felt that her family all get along so well.  And that no one is in jail!  Since she hadn't been able to read, she spent many hours praying for us all.  She was the prayer warrior!  

I loved being one of her drivers even though she liked to tell me I was going the wrong way~

I am very much missing Mom and my daily visits to the condo or Highgate.  But the best of Mom lives on in us and we are pretty dang amazing people!

Rest in peace Mom.  I love you so much~

6 comments:

Tom said...

Nice Mary. All these memories are showing what a special person Mom was.

Anonymous said...

I have never thought about you having to tell grandma you were pregnant at 18. I always just thought, "Well Mary got pregnant and then they got married and everything worked out." It's nice to hear the story, especially grandma's reaction. She truly was amazing.

Love,
Molly

Anonymous said...

These are amazing tributes to a remarkable woman. Sadly, I didn't know your mom very well, except through the love my parents had for your parents. But I witnessed the impact that she had on your lives because of the love you have for one another. Certainly your dad was a contributor in this regard. Such good role models for you as children and adults. You did go on to do great things, Mary. You and Jim raised a wonderful family. Colleen Cosgriffe Vadheim

Johnny Piano said...

Yes, Mary, I too had to tell Mom about unwed pregnancy. However, I was much older – 19. She absorbed the news calmly and said, "Well, you two have to decide what to do." That was it; she left it in our hands.

It took a while for us to decide, but Mom never pressured me or told me I should go one way or another. She did mention that she prayed for us a lot.

Erin said...

She has a fabulous family! I am so lucky to be a part of it. Great stories, Mary!

Jan said...

Gosh! These are all such great stories!! Nice to know that Mom didn't pressure you, Johnny! Guess I was the bad one there!