Thursday, December 10, 2015

Remembering Mom



A few favorite memories of mom and gratefulness over the years for being instrumental in helping me “find my way” in my 20’s and early 30’s are what come to mind.  She let me move back home a few times but with a standing rule, you must be working or going to school.  I’ve been reading her family letters she would send out to the Poiriers and Dutchie back in the 80’s and 90’s.  She would mention what her kids were up to and would end with me and the happenings in my life.  She would also say she was glad to have me around to do all the odd jobs she would come up with and the ongoing cribbage games.  This would continue when I moved into the house next door.  Those were very special years of which I will not soon forget.

Later in life she was able to visit Beryl and I in every city we lived, even Pahrump.  She was always impressed with how well we were doing in our jobs but couldn’t quite figure out why we had goats.  Her last trip was to Boise in 2011.  We had a wonderful weekend packed full of local sightseeing and activities.  That was a very special time I was glad to have my mom over for a visit.  I will definitely miss popping into her condo/room unannounced and seeing her joyful expression.  As with dad, she will always be in my thoughts and dreams.  

2 comments:

Johnny Piano said...

I remember after her trip to see you in Boise, you commented that you wanted to make her a shirt saying, on the back, "This person makes frequent stops." I found that very funny.

We'd all been with Mom at a store, farmer's market, or such, when, while walking along, she'd just stop and look around. Not much to say, just looking around, maybe thinking about the next direction to take.

I attribute that to her unending curiosity about the world around her – and a bit to her flagging energy. But no matter what, she kept going.

Keep going, guys, I love these memories of Mom.

Nateusmoore said...

I did the same thing when I lived with the Giegers after college in GF. Popped into the house and would catch her reading the paper in the recliner. I'd have a beer and play some cribbage with her. Loved how I knew exactly what to expect when I went over there.