Wednesday, December 16, 2015

My Grandma

I have many fond memories of Grandma Jeanne.  I was lucky enough to grow up within a short drive of Grandma so that it was easy for us to make a trip to see her.

As I contemplate what to write as a reflection now that she is gone, it is hard to pinpoint a single memory or specific story that stands out above the rest.  What I will remember of my Grandma is the way her voice sounded when I walked in the door for a visit as she greeted me with, “Well hello, Matthew.  How the heck are ya?”  Carrying the perfect pitch for emphasis and pausing perfectly on each word of the question so that you knew how much she really cared to know.  I will miss her hugs and the way she pulled me in no matter how tall I got (or how short she got).  And finally the way she would walk up to me at a gathering and wrap her arm around my waist for a squeeze that only a Grandma can give to have a chat about the events taking place or to just stand there by her grandson.


She was an amazing woman who lived a life that is a model of how we can all be better people.  She gave us the gift of family and her legacy will live on in each of us.  I can’t wait to get together again next summer!

Love you all,
Matthew

5 comments:

Johnny Piano said...

Thanks, Matt, for the warm memories.

Anonymous said...

Always the "How the heck are ya?" greeting. I loved it.

Love,

Molly

Mary said...

Nicely done Matt!

Jan said...

Thank you, son! With all that you have going on, it was sweet of you to do this on your day! These posts just show what an amazing woman walked among us for so many years and why she will be so missed!

Nateusmoore said...

"How the heck are ya" - I can still hear it. Miss that a ton.