Thursday, December 31, 2015


Season's greetings from here in Great Falls!! I hope you are ringing in the New Year tomorrow with your loved ones and that 2016 finds you in good health.

As 2015 comes to a close, I am flooded with memories of the past year: friendships and relationships that have come and gone, tests for school that probably needed more studying, work, the list goes on. With Grandma's death, however, those memories are overpowered by new ones of family and love. 

I wasn't as fortunate as the older cousins to know Grandma for as long as they did.  I only had 22 years to get the full Grandma experience.  Just as everyone as said, there were the outstanding memories of Grandma's house: the apple tree, raspberry bushes, sports in the front yard, the can crusher in the garage, the candy drawer in the kitchen that really wasn't hidden.  I have a very distinct memory of Nate tackling me when we were playing football because I was the only one he COULD tackle.  This particular tackle sent me onto the sidewalk, however, and since I was maybe seven, I obviously cried and ran to Grandma and mom on the deck.  Strangely, in the midst of tears and telling on Nate, I also recall remembering how mom and Grandma both approached my pain the same exact way.  They pretty much told me, in a much more consoling way, to get over it.  It wasn't mean or annoyance.  It was just matter-of-factly.  They had experienced this before and they knew I wasn't dying.  I realize now that all the cousins had seen this reaction from Grandma and their respective parents.  Nate never did get in trouble…

In my 22 years, I never was without the love she gave.  Everyone has remembered her abundance of love and she never took a day, or a grandchild, off.  10 years ago, I was able to live in Grandma's old house for a couple months and it was definitely noticeable the warmth and love that just seemed to float around her house. Whenever anyone visited, the love increased and you could see Grandma light up with joy. 

I was fortunate enough to visit Grandma the Wednesday before she died.  Most of my memories of her house, her love, were from a child's point of view and the Grandma I saw at Highgate did not fit that bill.  She was tired and ill.  I remember her being enthusiastic.  This in addition to mom informing me earlier in the week that Grandma wasn't doing well led me to realize that this was her time.  The only thing I can imagine is that she had more love to give but not enough time. 


Again, I hope you have a great new year and God bless!!

Samuel

4 comments:

Johnny Piano said...

Thanks, Sam. You have, along with your cousins and siblings, brought out fond memories and deep feelings about Gramma. Until this series of recollections, I think I didn't realize how much she touched all of you. I knew connections were clear, but each of you has brought out how clear they were. Wonderful!

Mary said...

Nice post Sam. I seem to remember this tackle and the way I remember it, I did say something to the "big" boys and they all said I needed to quit babying you. Whatever!! You took your fair share of crap from all of them for sure!
Thanks for the memories...

Jan said...

Sammy boy! Great memories! This has been a wonderful experience to hear what her grandchildren had to say about her!

Nateusmoore said...

I can vividly remember all the sports we played in the back yard at Grandma's house - I miss those days so much. And yes, Sam, it was because you were the only one I could tackle - I was a late grower. Glad we'll always have those memories.