Sunday, December 06, 2015

My Memory of Mom

I have so many great, funny memories of Mom.  I am going to share two because I am the 2nd child! But first I have to say that one thing about Mom that I loved in her later years is that whenever you called she made you feel like you were her favorite child!
My first memory is from years ago when we were still in Shelby and staying with her whenever we had a meet in Fort Benton.  One year, Marc was making french toast on Saturday morning and turned on her oven to warm it up to keep the french toast warm.  As he was cooking we started smelling something and couldn't figure out what.  When he opened the oven to put the toast in, there was something in it.  He pulled out this pan with a burnt chunk of something in it.  Mom came through and we asked her what it was.  She was so excited and said "Oh, so that is where my Easter ham went!"  Keep in mind, Easter was in March that year and this was the latter part of July that we were there.  Gotta love how often she used her oven!

The second one was just recently.  We went out to dinner and I asked her if she wanted a Bud Lite with her taco.  She told me she didn't drink beer.  Of course that made me kind of chortle since it was like water for her!  But I asked if she wanted to try it and see if she liked it and she said sure.  We she took a sip and told me she thought it tasted pretty good!

She will be missed as she left a mark on each and every person that she came in touch with!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE that ham story! So funny.

Love,
Molly

Nateusmoore said...

Grandma's kitchen was definitely more apt to be used for cribbage, conversation, and a couple beers rather than cooking. Never could trust that fridge.

Johnny Piano said...

Good stories. Over the last couple years, I love that you and Mom seemed to go the deepest into lala land with each other. Like the time you talked to her on the phone for a while about plans. She seemed a bit confused, then asked, "Who is this?" "Jan" "Oh, I thought you were one of the boys."

Just goes to show ... she thought you were the best, but could never quite figure you out.