Tuesday, July 26, 2011

OOOOOOK-LAAAA-HOMA

For those of you not familiar with the HBO miniseries, "Band of Brothers" the following won't make any sense and not only that but you are missing out on a fantastic series. There is a sequence in the show where the soldiers are being read news from back in America and the play "Oklahoma" is mentioned. Immediately all the "Joes" begin singing the song, and for a brief moment they seem to forget that they are on the final push into Nazi occupied Germany. I only mention this because every time I watch the series, which in the last year has been often, and that sequence occurs I am reminded of the Moore family and my subsequent role as Oklahoma.



I need to take the time to thank those who sent packages, wrote emails and kept me in their prayers over the last year. It meant more to me than you will ever know, so thank you!



Below are some pictures. The first of which is right before a mission, and in order to avoid any confusion or false sense of what I did for a year I attached the second picture. A much more accurate portrayal of my time in Iraq. Yes the life of a Company Executive Officer.


I see most of you are doing very well and I look forward to catching up with you upon my return to the states.


Ryan







8 comments:

meg and ry said...

I would also like to note that significant to Oklahoma being Ryan's state is a favorite song of one of his fellow teachers: "You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma." He has been known to sing this in various venues - barn dances, school classrooms, etc.

LOVE YOU HONEY!

mattandkelly said...

Yay, Ryan! Here's to the final push until home! I'm SO excited for you and your beautiful little family. HOMECOMING IS THE BEST! God bless you and thank you thank you for your service.

Love,
Kelly

mary said...

I will add my thank you to Kelly's. And I look forward to seeing you when you get back. Good luck with this last portion of your deployment! Stay safe~

Molly said...

I have seen the movie version of the play "Oklahoma" a couple times. It's kind of odd. But I did sing a song from it, once for my talent portion of Jr. Miss and once as an audition piece for the musical my freshman year of college. It was Ado Annie's "I Cain't Say No". If any of you have heard that song you know that her vocal range and mine are pretty similar, though she sounds a bit better. Anyhoo...Ry, I am so super stoked to have you home! I can't wait. I'm pretty sure I'm more excited than Tyson. Ok, well that probably isn't true (it's actually most definitely not true, I don't think anyone could be more excited than that kid), but I am still really pumped for you to be home! Love you!!

Connie said...

Thanks for your post, Ryan. Never been to Oklahoma but heard it is a great state. Stay safe until you get home.

Mike said...

Having spent time in your state, I like the song better. Good call on Band of Brothers. Watching it again now and reading Unbreakable at the same time. Incredible that both of those happened at the same time in different parts of the world. Definitely gives you some life perspective. Highly recommend both to those who haven't experienced them. Hope the rest of the time flies by for you. Safe travels home.

Jen said...

Band of Brothers is awesome!!! I remember you lending me that on my long journey to the East Coast onboard the mighty Amtrak! You are so awesome! It is good to see some photos of you and know you are okay. Definitely missin ya even though I am not even in MT :) Safe travels bro!

Jan said...

We look forward to having you home safe and sound! It will be a mighty happy little family here when you hit the ground in Helena, MT. For us it has been a fast year. I don't know how you feel about that. It always goes faster for those who have the family and are keeping busy with them. We will be very excited to have you back at school! It should be a good year. They haven't named Steve's replacement yet, but hopefully it is someone who is easy going and has a sense of humor or I may have to quit! One of these days I will have to watch Band of Brothers. I have heard lots about it but I have not watched it. Safe travels, kiddo! Great pictures by the way!!