Tuesday, July 05, 2011

News from Nick~

(this is a photo from the family reunion in White Sulpher. I LOVE this photo and have it on my desktop. Makes me miss Nicko even more~)



Hey All!




So I have not been able to read all your blog posts as I have had zero internet access (thank you Mom for posting this for me). South Carolina has been pretty easy so far. I have been in the processing stage called reception for the last week. We sit around waiting for something to happen for hours at a time on minimal sleep--unable to talk or doze off. It's its own special kind of torture that is often abled the worst week of a soldier's life. But tomorrow marks the first day of BLT when physical training bans are lifted and we finally get to begin our military carreers.




I was thinking of everyone today, as I was chomping on greens and grits and brisket, when I looked up at the state flags in the chow hall and noticed they were in the order of induction into the union. It gave me a bit of a chuckle.




So I have concluded, as I witness the fifth and sixth groin shots since starting this letter, that the greatest challenge for me over the next 2 months will not be drill sargeants or working out or short meal and sleep breaks or learning the ways of the warrior, but putting up with the immaturity of 17-19 year old boys. Someone asked me the other day which was more difficult--maintaining patience for my classes or this platoon? I would take a platoon of middle school kids over these jokers any day. But if trying my patience is the hardest task ahead of me, this will be a walk in the park.




Alright my loving family, thank you for all you love and support. I cannot wait to read all of your posts and catch up with you all when I get home. Much love to all of you and have a wonderful summer!








Nick

7 comments:

mattandkelly said...

Thanks so much for posting this Mary. Sorry we didn't get up to see you guys while we were in Montana. We will make it next time.

Please pass our best wishes on to Nick. We look forward to hearing from him on the other side of BLT. :)

God bless,
Matt and Kelly

Jen said...

This was a great post.....thanks for putting it up Mary! Let Nick know I am thinking of him and can't wait to see him on the other side :) we are all proud of him and wish him the best down there in SC!

Hannah said...

Nickerbocker - You are a trooper in every sense of the word!! Hope your experience only looks up from here.

Briana said...

Nick, it's nice to hear from you! Thank you for posting Mary. I hope the rest of your time is manageable - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and more patient :) )
love you
B

Mike said...

Nick, great to hear from you. Glad all is well with the training so far. Unfortunately, immaturity is not limited to that age group or service branch. I had a run in with a young Ensign at the BX the other day who was very lucky I'm not a hot tempered guy or he probably would have been calling Jake to remove a size 14 from his colon. Jen knows what I'm talking about. Anyway, keep up the great attitude and the rest of your time will be a breeze. Look forward to hearing more from ya.

meg and ry said...

Mary - Thanks for posting! Such a good mom!

Mike - That guy doesn't know how lucky he is! Met the most even-tempered human on earth!

Nick - One thing learned from the last four years of "military" life is there are lessons to be learned in every experience - mainly of what you DON"T want to act like! Keep your head down, and your chin up (yes not really physically possible but a good philosophy regardless).

Abe said...

When it comes to groin shots, I'm not sure if one should follow the "turn the other cheek" or the "eye for an eye" maxim. Maybe somewhere in between. Keep after it, Nick!