Monday, August 31, 2009

Just Checking In

It has been a good long while since I have written on this blog. I'm sure the majority of you have been sitting on the edge of your seats awaiting my next post. Well here ya go....

First off, I completed my second year of med school in May and had a fun 6 weeks of studying for our 1st of 3 medical licensing board exams. This one tested pretty much all of the first two years of med school with a 7 hour ordeal. But I came out ok and I'm on to third year.

I should mention that after the test a few friends and I headed down to the Dominican Republic for a week. Here's a picture of the crew.
As I mentioned my third year has begun. At our school, third is the first time we really get any kind of legitimate patient contact. We rotate around in different specialties so that in a year and a half we can conceivably choose what we are doing for the rest of our lives. But anyways....I just finished my first rotation (surgery) with a big test on Friday. It was really interesting and cool to get to see some of that stuff up close and personal. I actually got to hold a heart as we were doing a bypass operation...and the patient even made it!! I have now started my second rotation (psychiatry) and am hoping for some better hours. I will say that I was seriously considering if this career was for me at the end of my second year. After getting in the hospital and actually practicing a little, I think I chose the right path.

I am pretty sad I missed the family picnic but duty called. I will hopefully be home for Thanksgiving and definitely for Christmas. I would love to see all of you and share some of the crazy stories I have already amassed in my short career.

Love everyone

Jake

4 comments:

Abe said...

You're living the dream, my friend. If you need a break from the Lou, you two are always welcome up here in Chi City.

Jen said...

jake...glad to hear things are picking up a little in the third year. i felt the same way about law school, it wasn't until i got some practical experience that i realized this is what i want to do! the dominican republic sounds fun and i am super jealous that you went! :) hope the other 2 board tests you have to take go well! hopefully i will see you over the christmas holiday!

Molly said...

Hey bud!
Kudos and congrats on all you've accomplished. Glad you are enjoying it. Holding a heart?! Ick...definitely not my cup of tea. DR sounds fun! And it reminds of my favorite musical "In the Heights", so that's a double bonus! Good luck this year!!!

Hannah said...

Hey at least you got to chill in the sun for a week, that sounds divine and worth all the hard work. Can't wait till I am calling you for all kinds of medical advise. :) Hannah