Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Still kickin' ...

Thanks to my children, siblings, and other family members for all the kind thoughts, heartfelt prayers, cards, flowers, and visits. For those who may not know, I went under the knife a week ago for a bad appy, as the nurses say. A ruptured appendix.

I received fine care at St. Peter's Hospital and fine kindness from family and friends. Today's follow-up visit with the surgeon showed all systems A-OK, although I'm still on injured reserve. I plan to play a bit of music this weekend and possibly ease back into work next Tuesday (Monday being a holiday and all). We'll see.

When I came home Saturday, one of the first things I saw near my computer was a letter I had left there a couple weeks ago. It's from a woman who has cancer. She just had a baby (her fourth child), and she's battling cancer of the lungs, spine, lymph system, and brain. She's undergoing weekly chemo treatment that really wipes her out. Through all that, she remains positive and spirited. It's certainly a jolt of perspective for me.

This woman and her family will be the beneficiary of the upcoming Lost & Foundation Benefit on Sunday, October 19. It'll take place in downtown Helena at the Park Plaza Hotel. If you expect to be in the neighborhood that day, plan to stop by for good music, a great auction, and plain old fun. If you want to help out, let us know.

Meanwhile, thanks again. I'll see many of you soon at Abe & Dee's wedding. John

7 comments:

Jan said...

Johnny, so glad to hear that you got a thumbs up today. You were on my mind all day and I failed to call and see how it went, so I was glad to see this when we got home. I will give you a call tomorrow or stop by. Where are you playing this weekend?

Joey said...

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle John. Hope the full recovery comes soon and easily.

Anonymous said...

Warm wishes and good luck for a speedy recovery, John. Glad you'r okay.

aurie

Anonymous said...

glad to hear all is well, i am actually going to be in town that weekend, so i am going to have to check it out!

mary said...

You have been in our prayers at home and at school. I am glad all is well and you are on the road to recovery.

Love ya
Mary

Hannah said...

Glad ya' made it thru such surgical fun times, Daddio! You have been in our prayers. Love you.
Hannah

mattandkelly said...

Hey, Johnny! Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Hopefully you are feeling healthier each day. Looking forward to seeing you and Ann. We plan on being back in Helena in November and I've got a little boy who would love to run around to The Run Around Song again! Sending love!