Thursday, April 03, 2008

Time to Vote ...

Thanks for all the comments and points of view. As usual, no "best date" for the Family Picnic has materialized. Some people have posted their preferences here; some have sent me veiled threats. (Don't worry, Abe -- I won't name names.) Anyway, I've narrowed it down to the two best choices, with pros and cons. You'll need to speak now or forever (meaning about a year) hold your peace.

June 14. The venue could be most anywhere. A lake isn't realistic, because June water is only slightly above freezing. And overall, the weather can be dicey at this time of year. I know this date works well for some and not well for others. State your case.

August 9. This date is more conducive to choosing a nice lake, getting a boat, and blasting out old style. One downside -- it might be too close to Abe and D's wedding date, but that's not settled yet. Once again, this date probably works well for some and not well for others. State your case.

As before, I'm pegging my birthday (April 14, in case you forgot) as D-Day, with D standing for Decision. Thank you for your attention. John & Ann, Grand Marshalls

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know this may frustrate you more than help...but i am representing switzerland in this affair and remaining neutral

Anonymous said...

Connie and Bill are free and easy.
Anytime is ok with us.

bdiddy said...

I vote for June. Peter is going to be working overtime in August to get done with his doctorate on the 29th - so we probably wouldn't make it in August. I also think that maybe in loo of a boat and a lake that maybe we could rent a cabin or something in the woods so that there is still some sort of outdoorsyness to it - old school style. Then maybe Abe and Nate could tether each other to other motorized objects for fun?

Jake said...

June is the only date I can make it. August 10th is our first day of school and I probably shouldn't miss it.

Abe said...

Jim is here visiting and we have some concerns about this manufactured dichotomy between June and August. What has July done that was so egregious as to leave it disenfranchised? Put it on the ballot!

D and I are still pretty far away from picking a date, but it looks like the earliest will be October, so August probably won't interfere with the wedding.

Nateusmoore said...

As of right now I am good for either date. I agree with Bri that an outdoorsy picnic would be awesome. I also agree to any other competition against Abe.

Jan said...

Meg and Ryan are here and we are voting for July. Just had to agree with Abe on that one. And, Abe buddy, you have your wedding planner on the works for you guys. Ryan is doing a good job!!! I am for anyplace as far as places go, but think July would be great!!

Maurika said...

darn the luck of montana weather! ok, well i'm in for either, but lean to june as it seems the best for all in keeping with previous plans as well...

maybe we could just rent a grade school and abe and nate could four-square each other to death?

maybe just a big ol' park and everyone bring an outdoor competitive yet legally safe game to sit back and watch the craziness begin...

Nick said...

I like June. I will be available any time any place. July and August will be a bit limited. I really don't have much conflict with any decision here, but I will voice my vote for June because that is my right. Somewhere out of town is preferred, but at present that does not seem to be the issue. I am fully confident that our appointed representatives will make a just decision on this initiative.