Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Boat Rentals

Here are some possibilities for boat rentals.

-The Boat Loft at Holter is under new ownership, but in the past they have rented out both ski boats and pontoons. I would assume the new owners would continue to do so, but I was unable to find any prices at this time.

-Malmstrom rents out a small flat-bottom boat that would not allow us to ski behind, but they also rent out wakeboards, life vests, water tubes, and water skis for a weekend.

-Canyon Ferry Boat Rental only rents pontoon boats and seeing how Abe and Nate have the desire to tube at high rates of speed. I don't think this is the answer.

-Water Fun Rental of Helena rents out an 18' VIP(?) for $175 a weekend, they require a $500 damage deposit and a credit card to secure the reservation. I have a feeling this boat has taken a beating in recent years.

-My suggestion (and remembering that I am the 47th member to enter this family I suggest with humility) is to rent a pontoon boat from the loft at Holter Lake so anybody who wants to be on the water during the day to fish and what-not can do so. For those who want to ski, wakeboard, and tube will be able to behind my parents boat which is at the cabin all summer long. I don't want to take the boat from my family all day long, but we would be able to use it for most of the day. Roughly the same length as renting a boat. There would be no need to worry about ski's, wakeboards, or tubes, we have enough to fit all different shapes and sizes. Lifejackets may be of concern, but I figure someone should be able to round up enough that we would be legal on the water. The only problem with Holter is finding the space for everyone to hang out at for the day. Someone would have to get up there early Friday to secure a spot, or we could find someplace across the lake to picnic for the day. We would need the pontoon to accomplish this task.

So that's my input into the whole thing, quite the lengthy post for my first, but hey what a way to start. If no one is interested in these ideas I will continue to look for alternative options. Meghan, Sprout, and I look forward to seeing you all soon.

Ryan

P.S. Nobody stays on the tube for long when I am behind the wheel!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ryan for taking on this job! Way to go!! I am all for the Holter route!

Later
Mary

Abe said...

Ryan, once again you are all over it - very much appreciated. I think your suggestion is great, but I'd hate to deprive your folks of their boat (and I don't know that anyone will be fishing or otherwise using a pontoon boat, but I could be wrong about this). $175 for that ski boat in Helena seems like a pretty fair shake. Why don't we go that route? I'd spring for the boat if someone picks up the gas and can tow it.

Seems like Holter will work best for everyone, and sounds fantastic to me, too.

Anonymous said...

wow, i am impressed ryan. good work. i agree with abe, not so much on being able to cover the boat seeing as how i am working this summer for no money, but that we should get the one from helena. also, i think you might be surprised with the tubing skills of some of our family....so your driving skills may be put to the test

Nateusmoore said...

Nice work, Ryan. Holter sounds like a good time. Can't wait for the tubing festivities.

meg and ry said...

If we want to rent let me check on the price of a ski boat from the Loft at Holter Lake, it might save us a little bit of hassle to have the boat right at the lake.

Jan said...

I think I have to agree with the youngsters on this one! As generous as it is for you to offer your parents' boat for the day, I have been there and I have seen the crowd. I just don't think that would be fair. But, I also don't think that Abe should be responsible for paying. This is a family gathering, should be a family chipping in. Hopefully if something goes wrong, someone would know what to do. Way to go, Mr. Oklahoma. You are the man!! Thank you for your work!!

Johnny Piano said...

I join the others in commending Ryan for doing the leg work. I also agree that Holter Lake would be a fine location for the event. I'll check with folks in the know and do some scouting for a site.

I also realized after setting the date that I'm playing in Great Falls on Friday, June 25. Having the picnic location between GF and Helena will work out great.

Anonymous said...

you probably meant to say friday, JULY 25, as june 25 (my birthday) is on a wednesday this year!!

Jan said...

After talking to Ryan about the boat, I agree with him that using his family's boat makes sense. We should all of course kick in for gas. Volunteers for arriving early on Friday to locate a spot?