Monday, May 28, 2007

Thoughts for Memorial Day


The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg, 1863.
Memorial Day orators will say that a G.I.'s life is priceless. Don't believe it. I know what value the U.S. government assigns to a soldier's life: I've been handed the check. It's roughly what the Yankees will pay Roger Clemens per inning once he starts pitching next month.
Andrew J. Bacevich, a Vietnam veteran, teaches history and international relations at Boston University. His son died May 13 after a suicide bomb explosion in Salah al-Din province.

1 comment:

Terry said...

Dear Abe...
Wanting a good picture to put on my blog for Memorial Day, I could not find a better one then this touching one that you have posted here and I hope that you do not mind if I "borrow" it and post it on my blog.
I am Canadian but every week in our prayer meeting, the men all pray for United States and your precious troops, as well as the Canadian ones who are fighting for the freedom of people , even for the people that do not seem to want this freedom.
If it hadn't of been for all the American soldiers fighting for the good, I am sure that Canada would surely not have been as free as we are now.
My husband and I have our veranda filled with little USA flags in honour of those brave troops..
Have a great Memorial Day as you celebrate the lives of your faithful troops..
.From Bernie and Teresa Shirkie, Welland Ontario, Canada![twenty miles from Buffalo]

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!