Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Drama of the Goats


It began your typical animal-sitting gig; feed a small herd of goats, playful puppy, and testy cat- sounds like fun. Little did we know. Day one went off without a hitch, animals were happy as were the Philpots. Day two however, began as I was throwing the goat feed into the fenced off pen and I chanced to hear a “mehhh”ing that sounded smaller, quieter, need I say, younger. I glanced into the stable to see sweet young pregnant Annabelle was no longer pregnant. Sweet young Annabelle that “definitely won’t have her babies til we get back” did in fact, deliver a perfect set of twins. One on its feet, the other lying in the corner. Ok, so I freaked out but in a very methodical way. We warmed the horizontal little girl in a towel and called the vet as I didn’t have Jim’s cell number handy. Then I proceeded to get her walking, get both goats nursing and after consulting Beryl, even get their umbilical cords all cleaned up. Yes, they are little beauties; a girl and a boy. I’m thoroughly attached as we spent the greater part of the day together and they are never to be sold. Beryl says they have perfect ears. Aw, my babies, of course they have perfect ears. I now feel qualified to open my own veterinary clinic or run a large scale ranching operation. See all the excitement we have down in Utah? Some of ya’ll Montanans need to come on down and join in the fun. Anyway, thought you’d enjoy the adventure. Hannah

8 comments:

Abe said...

That's fantastic! And I never thought I'd write this, but damn those are a cute couple of goats.

Johnny Piano said...

Hannah -- it's great that the day turned out well. I misunderstood when you called on Wednesday -- I thought you had two goats in labor at the same time, not two kids already born. For your sake, I hope this is the only time you have twins. Nice work as a "kidwife."

Shmoore said...

Hannah you did a wonderful job bringing the kidds into this world. Thank you B

Jen said...

excellent work cuz.....you do us proud!!! those are some pretty good looking goats!

Nateusmoore said...

It's a good thing you included the picture because without it I would have thought you were just "kidd"ing around. That was bad. I have to go now.

meg and ry said...

Good work there Hannah. I love that we have stories like this in our family that are not only heart-warming but can also inspire others to come up with not-so-heart-warming puns (ahem Nate). Going goat-viewing would definitely be a fun trip! Maybe this summer!?

bdiddy said...

I just have to say that you look especially beautiful in the picture - and the goats are pretty cute too. Congratulations on a job well done.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Phendimetrazine 35mg with free shipping Mossy nissan kearny mesa Pikes peak university national lottery Online purchase tenuate Answering machine greeting words