Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Christmas list update







Hello family!!! This post serves two purposes: to provide a Christmas list so that I will not be harassed by the individuals who have me, and also to give you all an update on life in Guam. First the update. Things have been going really well here. It is hard to believe that it has almost been a year since I stepped foot on this tropical island. I must say, when I first came here, I was not sure that I made the right decision, but looking back, I am so glad Molly was sitting right next to me when the detailer called---I don't think I would have ended up here otherwise.


Work is going well. I do a wide range of legal work and I never know what is going to walk through my door. I have actually been out on 2 different ships since I have been here on the island. The first was two weeks after I arrived. I went on the USS FRANK CABLE (AS-40) for about a month and was the defense attorney onboard for all of the sailors (all 2,000 of them). Then, during the summer months (June-August), I was onboard the USS ESSEX (LHD-2). It is piered in Sasebo, Japan. I was the staff Judge Advocate for the Commodore and the Deputy. Basically my role was to create liberty policies for when the ship pulled into port, and also provide advice on Rules of Engagement and Environmental law issues relating to the Great Barrier Reef and other areas around Australia. Unfortunately, our ship never made it to the Land Down Under, but it was an amazing experience that I feel lucky to have been a part of.


So the command definitely makes sure that I stay busy. I am putting on LT next month (Mike will be here for a few weeks and is going to pin the bars on me). I was going to have my name put in for a deployment, but that has been temporarily put on hold as one of the other attorneys in our office (we have 3 total) is heading out to Afghanistan in January. That doesn't mean I am out of the clear, but that does mean there is a better chance I will be back in MT for Shannon's wedding.


So social life---since I know that is what you all care about. I do anything that will take me outdoors. I love the hikes around here (I have been to countless waterfalls, explored caves, and to the tops of "mountains"), I bike when I can, I have run a half marathon, a triathlon, and have done a couple of open water swims in the ocean. I also LOVE diving. I have really gotten into it. I am currently working on my dive master, which is basically one step down from an instructor. I don't think I will become an instructor, because then I have to do paperwork :) As a dive master I get to teach the class without the hassle, so why would I create more work for myself? Anyway, the diving out here is absolutely amazing and I have seen some pretty cool stuff. I have a couple of videos on facebook, and when I tried to post them on here, I couldn't. Hopefully someone who has facebook and is technologically savvy can figure out how to get them on here. They are a video of an eel swimming around and then a short clip of a nurse shark I saw last weekend. Pretty sweet.



I have included a couple of pictures. One is of me diving, the other is of me at the Navy Ball. Basically it is an event to celebrate the Navy's Birthday. Everyone gets dressed up in their whites....eats dinner, and then you get to watch as slowly officer and enlisted alike get tipsy and try to keep their whites clean---it is quite entertaining.


Anyway...that is about all I have from here. People are more than welcome to come visit :) Molls will be here over Christmas, and I cannot wait! I will hopefully see most of you next summer.


So now on to the list (don't worry mom, I will make a different one for you). Pretty simple: donation to Wounded Warrior Project, ITunes gift card, Target gift card, pictures of family, something cool to hang on my office wall.


That is it. Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. Love you all.


Love always,


Jen

2 comments:

Desiree said...

Great update, Jen! You look so cute in your white suit. And your diving pictures and videos are amazing - you have clearly not been lazy despite the tropical island atmosphere. The work you are doing sounds complex, too. 2000 potential clients - that's a lot of responsibility! So proud of you for all you have accomplished. Hope to see you at the wedding, if not before!

Love,
Des and Abe

Molly said...

Ya, you're welcome. ;) Can't wait to spend my Christmas with you! Love ya!