Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hello from St Louie



Hello my wonderful family. I haven't talked to most of you in a few months and I figure you like most people need a little bit of Jake in your life so here it is...


I just had my second test since Christmas break today and it was pretty rough. We learned basically every bacteria tha causes disease in about three weeks. I know what you're thinking because I'm thinking the same thing and it probably goes something like this, "How are these people supposed to learn and remember all this forever and ever?" Ok maybe you weren't thinking that, but the answer is we can't. I have already forgotten half the stuff I had on this test. It's bascially just so when you see this again in the hospital it will take a shorter time to learn it. So basically I am paying 40,000 a year to forget everything a learn. Ok that might be a little bit of a overstatement but thats what it feels like. Viruses and fungi are next so I actually may be able to tell Rika, Mark and the kids something aboout what they have.


So other than the school thing I have been able to get out and enjoy myself. I had my first ice skating experience since I was in elementary school in January. The first weekend of February was not only Mardis Gras, not only Super Bowl, and also one of my really good friends came out to interview at SLU Med so we had a really good time (see pictures...look at those beads, crazy). Valentine's Day held an enjoyable study session until about one in the morning, but I think it might still beat having to think up some romantic thing to do, which usually costs way too much, and takes way too much time and effort. That being said Happy Valentine's Day to all you happy couples out there in blog land. Other than that may weeks consist of lots of studying and the weekends bring nothing more than compiling research from the numerous local (non-alcoholic) establishments.


I hope everyone is doing well. I miss all of you a ton.


Love Ya

Jake

8 comments:

Hannah said...

Well "a little bit of Jake" is a fun way to spend some Sunday morning minutes. Glad to hear such perseverance, it'll all be worth it in the end. Especially when we're all calling you for your expert medical advise. :)

Jen said...

wow...looks like you are having a great time. i hear ya about the tests, that is what it is like for law school as well...cram and spit out and then forget until you use in practice.....anyway, hope you continue to enjoy your year!

Mike said...

don't you law dogs just take some tests at the end of the semester and call it good?
i feel your pain on the side of science big jake. hang tough and maybe we'll throw these lawyer types a malpractice bone in a few years or so.

Anonymous said...

yeah.....us lawdogs do take a test at the end of the year...but we have to incorporate the whole semester of information in one sitting..unlike you med students who get bits and pieces thrown at you

Jan said...

Well, family, I feel the love!!! Proud of you, Jake, for hanging in there. None of the graduate schools are easy - remember Miranda out there!! You guys are all doing well, and we are all proud of you! Continue to have fun when you can, buddy!! Once you start those crazy residencies, the fun ends!!!

Nateusmoore said...

If the fun ever ends, you have to enshrine those jeans, Jake. Those jeans have to have been through more "fun" than any pair I've ever seen. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

lol....okay....ma is right, everyone that is in grad school right now is working their buns off in different ways...i do wish you the best of luck jake and hopefully i can run into you randomly again like on new year's eve...that is always fun

Maurika said...

Funny! I can tell you that we are indeed suffering from something that you'll have forgotten...but you can remember catch phrases like "lots of fluids, rest and eat well..." seems to get most of our docs through the day. :) You look great, sounds like you work hard play hard - GOOD FOR YOU! I'm sure you'll be healing the world soon enough...

xo, m