Wednesday, October 25, 2017

I NEED YOUR HELP!

Dear Family: 

I have a special request. I'm facing some cynical teenagers (ha!) in my classroom where "nothing we do here will matter" so I'm challenging them to find one path in life where they won't use critical thinking and problem solving skills. To help win the argument, I need proof. That's where you all come in!  

If you could please take 2-3 minutes to answer one or all three of the following questions then message it to me or post it in comments or email me that would be AWESOME! (I'm wanting to focus more on the academics, but interpersonal stuff works, too.) Good? Good. Here you go:

- What is one thing you wish you had done differently in high school?

- What is one thing you are SO GLAD you did in high school?

- Where is one area of your life you use your English skills (reading, writing, comprehension, understanding difficult texts, etc)?

If you can include your current occupation, that would help as well. I'm looking for all walks of life - white collar, blue collar, no collar.

2 comments:

Jan said...

(1) I honestly cannot think of a thing I would change about high school. I had awesome friends and we had a great time. I wish there would have been girl sports back then. Oh, I might have tried out for choir. Oh wait! Maybe I should have studied a little more!

(2) I am glad that I was the person that I was. I didn't feel the need to date and be with boys or the most popular girl in school. I took part in the things that I wanted to (okay, except choir). I enjoyed my family. I enjoyed my high school years!!

(3) This is a big one with me! NOTHING gravels me more than to hear people talking and using sentence structures the improper way - "Me and him went to the game". Or to hear the wrong verb being used - "I done it yesterday". Or seeing all the misspellings used in the work I do. People rely on auto correct when they shouldn't. It does not look very professional to send something out to the public with misspellings contained in the text! I am a secretary at HHS.

Shmoore said...

1. Got more involved in school activities.
2. Playing piano in orchestra and girls choir.
3. I use my English taught skills in all the above; reading, writing, speaking, problem solving, e mail correspondence, public speaking, presentations, interpersonal communications, peer communication, team building, direct report correspondence.
4. Current occupation is Station Manager for Delta Air Lines in Boise, ID.