Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Brother reunion

Hi y'all from Central Texas.

This past weekend Ben, Nick and Sam were able to come down to Austin to enjoy some time together before Nick's big deployment.  Nick has been in Fort Hood for the past month or so.  He got a few days leave before they are deployed this coming weekend.  His buddy drove him here to Austin on Fri. we went to a birthday party for one of my co-workers.  The theme was "nerd" so Nick just wore his regular clothes and the rest of us dressed up.  See pictures below.

Sam and Ben joined us Saturday night.  We had a heated game of bowling followed soon after with some delicious grub from Whataburger. Sunday morning we grabbed some coffee and hung at the house.  That afternoon Deanne joined us for a BBQ adventure to Lockhart which is a world renowned destination for smoked meats.  Naturally we ordered the "extra-large family meal." Touted as one of the biggest feasts in Texas we gladly accepted the challenge. Needless to say we all ate til we thought we'd burst then packed up the copious amount of leftovers.  We followed the gorging with another competition at Peter Pan mini-golf. Ben has a picture of us there and can post it.  After mini-golf we joined a group of friends for some sand volleyball.  We finished the day with some leftovers and games at my apartment.

I skipped work Monday and we grabbed breakfast tacos and an excellent placed here called Juan in a Million.  The owner typically greets customers with his award winning handshake. After breakfast we thought Wiffle ball would be fun and preceded to drive for hours around Austin looking for an official bat.  we finally found one and had a great afternoon reliving childhood summers.  Ben and Sam flew out Monday night.  Nick, Dee and I watched a movie Monday night. 

Back to work Tuesday for me.  Nick got to take in the Austin zoo, which is really more of an animal sanctuary. We had dinner at a good place on Lake Travis and actually went to bed fairly early. 
























Nick drove back to base earlier this morning.  Overall it was an awesome weekend and I was so glad I got to spend time with my brothers.  I am so proud of Nick and was especially happy to get to see him.  It will be hard for all of us to have him away but he is serving his country which is one of the most admirable things one can do.

I am now trying to recover (both bodily and emotionally) from the weekend. 

I love this great family and can't wait to see you...soon hopefully.

Jake


5 comments:

Nate Moore said...

Seriously jealous. I've been with you guys during those Austin trips and it's definitley a fun time. Glad you all got together. You definitley kept Austin weird.

Anonymous said...

First off, it's wonderful to hear from you, Jake, and know that you're still alive. Second, what a fun long weekend!! I'm so happy you all were able to get together before Nick flies out. He will definitely be missed but I am so proud of him! I hope we get to see you soon, too! I miss ya buddy!

Love,

Molly

mary said...

I am also very jealous...and so thankful you could all be together for this special weekend. Love you guys so much...nerds and all!

Jen said...

What a great way to send off your brother! It is never easy to see a family member deploy, but what a blessing to know he has such a strong support system! You guys look good (yes, even you Jake) and I am glad to hear things are going well in the great state of TX. Can't wait to see you this summer.

Jan said...

What a blast! You guys could find fun no matter where you were!! This sounds like a kick butt weekend! Having been through seven goodbyes with our boys, I have to say the hellos are much sweeter! He will be home before you know it and will be in our prayers until that time!