Sunday, November 20, 2011

Grill The Cheese



Well, there it is, folks. The trophy. A proud and victorious grilled cheese chef standing over his vanquished foes with spatula and kitchen knife in hand. He gazes with determination into the horizon from which comes the steady march of challengers, all armed with bread, cheese, butter and grit. The struggle to create a more perfect sandwich is never over, but for this year, he is the master. This trophy has occupied your dreams since Maurika seized the crown with her manicured crustless wonders. Now . . . will it occupy your mantle?

The Second Annual (Unless We Miss A Year, Then Biennial) Moore Family Grilled Cheese Throwdown will take place the day after Thanksgiving. The Wingerters, having just cleared the smoke from the last tournament, have graciously agreed to host the event once again. We need judges and we need contenders.

JUDGES: As always, Grandma will be the head judge. Maurika, the reigning champion, is hanging up her gloves at the peak of her career and will be the executive judge this year. All other competitors from the last event who are electing not to compete this time are entitled to a seat at the judge's table, should they choose not to throw their hat in the ring once again. If we do not have 5 former competitors who want to judge, other judges will be drawn at random. In the comments below, please let us know if you would like to judge this year.

COMPETITORS: If you are more interested in tasting victory than tasting grilled cheese, declare your intentions to compete in the comments section below. Just know this - I will be at the spatula this year as well and after two years of experimenting in the kitchen, I've come up with a doozy.

RULES: This is a grilled cheese competition, not a "whatever you want to put in a sandwich" competition. You are free to add various elements of wonder and surprise to your sandwich, but the ingredients must be mostly cheese. You must prepare enough sandwiches to allow five judges to taste your creation. You must prepare the sandwich onsite. No rabbit punches. No MSG.

Most importantly, let's all have a great day. Looking forward to seeing you all later this week!

7 comments:

Desiree said...

With Abe joining the competitors this year, we will need an MC. As last year's last place finisher, I would be happy to opt out of making sandwiches and instead oversee the event as MC. (MC gets to taste sandwiches to be sure they are not poisonous before sending them to the judges, right?) Thoughts?!

- Diz

Jan said...

You guys crack me up! What an event. Wish we could be there as I most definitely would enter the competition. Alas, I will have to await results when we arrive on Saturday!
Des, you would make an AWESOME MC.

Joey said...

I'm putting my name in for the judging. As my previous creation speaks for itself, it would be unfair to subject the new contestants to it again for another year. I look forward to the concoctions that will grace my plate.

Hannah said...

Were I to be there, I would definitely enter the ranks of play. I can truly melt like no other. Kesiah has a friend that asks for grilled cheese every time she comes over - it's that good. And Kaitlyn loves her "girl" cheese - do I make "boy" cheese, she asks? Best of luck to you all...

Jen said...

I would rock the taste buds of all the judges, but alas, all the competitors have avoided sure defeat. I will be thinking of you all while I dive with sharks in Palau! Cannot wait to hear all about the results :) Love to all!

Nateusmoore said...

Two years ago I was robbed because some people don't like jalepenos. This year, I'm winning this. I'm thinking a hybrid of all the grilled cheeses from the last competition: feta cheese, bacon, Kraft Singles, and any other juvenile item I can fit between two pieces of bread.

Miranda said...

Juvenile! Ha!!! I will be a newcomer chef this year, but don't let that fool you. Maddie and I are going to be on a team and will dominate!!!