Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Update


Well, I figured since Mom decided to let you all know the news of my passing the bar, I would update you on the happenings in my life. From August 15th to September 17th I attended Officer Development School (ODS) in Newport, RI. I loved every minute of it and am so excited to continue my studies at Naval Justice School, which is also in Newport. The picture of me in uniform is during graduation and is when I received my first salute from my Senior Chief. It is tradition that when you receive your first salute, you give the individual a silver dollar. Well, since silver dollars cost about $22, I handed Senior Chief a good ol' dollar coin. Anyway, I flew back to MT and will be here until October 10th, when I will fly back to Newport to begin school.
The reason for the first picture is to show everyone where I will be stationed following Naval Justice School. I will spend the first two years of my Naval career in Guam. It is a tiny little island surrounded by tons and tons of water and far far far away from MT and family, but I am really excited about this opportunity. I know that I can be stationed anywhere in the United States, but my opportunity to go abroad is limited, so I decided to jump on this and voluntarily chose this as my first duty station. I know a lot of you may be thinking "why?" when I could have chosen San Diego or Jacksonville or Corpus Christi, but I am thinking "why not?" I know that it will be a huge adjustment and an even bigger change for me, but I am looking forward to the challenge. I graduate from Naval Justice School on the 17th of December and I will drive back to MT to spend some quality time with family before heading off on a 14 hour flight to my new home.
Over the next couple of years I will be depending on this (and facebook for those of you actively on it) for keeping in touch with family, so make sure things stay current! Thank you all for the support over the years and I am so blessed to have such an amazing family who cares and looks after each other. I am sure I will see you all (hopefully) before I ship out, but I just thought I would give you all a little update on where I will be going.
Love always,
Jen

7 comments:

meg and ry said...

Here's a big Whoop Whoop to you!!! Love the Guam thing!!!

Hannah said...

You are a brave soul. Can't wait to hear all of your adventures in Guam. And for those of us who are non-facebookers, I look forward to YOUR updates on this ol' blog.
Best Wishes,
Hannah

Molly said...

So I don't know if you will see your Senior Chief again but you could mention that he looks a little hunched in that picture. He needs to straighten up a bit. It is the military. :) And Guam will be so fun!!! Christmas 2011 in Guam! Who's in?? We can decorate a palm tree and go snorkeling and read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" by the cozy air conditioner!

Nick said...

Congrats Jen- What an incredible opportunity for you! See you when you get back here, and before you take off.

mary said...

WOW! Guam! That is amazing...what a chance to see a different part of the world. Enjoy your next adventure at school and we will see you soon~
Love ya

Desiree said...

You are amazing. We are blown away. Hope to see you before you go, but if not, keep us updated on your adventures. You'll be in our thoughts! Lots of love.

- Desiree & Abe

Anonymous said...

That is so super rad. I am so excited to hear all about Guam! I hope we get to see you before you leave.
love you
Briana and Family