Saturday, September 22, 2012

Orvis Goetz

Orvis Goetz, grandfather to my sisters and me and close friend of Grampa John, died peacefully today at his home surrounded by his family. He was born the youngest of six children in a small town in South Dakota, where he grew up speaking German. Because he couldn't speak English when he started school, he earned the nickname "Sputter," which stuck for many years. Always entrepreneurial, he had a paper route as a boy, then delivered groceries with his bicycle, then sold sporting goods, then Fuller brushes door to door. Then, of course, life insurance. He officed with Grampa John in a space that was attached to Mel's Doughnut Shop (Mel took a trip to Mexico, discovered tacos, and his doughnut shop became the first Taco Treat). He and John would drive John's VW bug all around Montana to call on ranchers in their homes - where they would often be invited to sit for dinner and John would sometimes play the piano. Orvis had a magnetic personality and a sharp humor that will be missed greatly by all of us who love him. I'll post when we have funeral details, but it looks like it will be Wednesday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orvis was a great friend who was always quick with a story and cribbage board. As a mentor in my early years, Orvis provided guidance and direction when ever asked. I will miss his wisdom and his friendship. Until we meet again ol' buddy!!!!

Jim Wingerter

mary said...

Such sad news. Safe journey Gmpa O.

Connie said...

So sorry to hear about Orv. I bet he and dad have already gotten a cribbage game going in heaven. Will keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

It is hard to lose the last of the "Three Musketeers" as Mom called them! Orv was a kick in the pants and he will truly be missed! I can't imagine the conversation those two must be having after not having seen each other for 28 years! The Goetz family is in our thoughts, our prayers and our hearts!

Johnny Piano said...

It's hard to say how many ways Orv and I were close. First as my father's friend and partner, second as a fishing mentor in my formative years. third as my father-in-law for 17 years, and fourth as a man I loved to visit with now and then. I'll miss him, and I'm happy he's at peace. My thoughts are with all the Goetzes as they face the loss in their lives.

Jen said...

Thoughts and prayers are with the family. Grandpa O obviously had a major impact on many peoples' lives.